~oOo~

2011-05-23

monday in michigan [photo post]

Cross-posted at ...fly over me, evil angel....
 
Hanna and I are in West Michigan (Holland, to be precise) this week, visiting with my parents and various other childhood acquaintances. I haven't been back here since October 2009. Hanna hasn't been here ever. I'm showing her the stuff I remember, discovering with her the new stuff that's happened since I've been away, and we're enjoying not having to go to work for the week. We're watching Season Two of Life on Mars and catching up on the leisure reading.

As I write this, Hanna is sitting next to me at the dining room table reading a history of coffeehouse culture in Europe, 1600-1720. I've been learning all the ways in which the responsible coffee user was supposed to ingest his/her drug of choice at the time (an hour before and after ingesting food, at as hot a temperature as could be tolerated) and all of the wondrous effects it was supposed to bestow.

Anyway. Here are some pictures from our Saturday walkabout. On Tuesday I'll be bringing you photographs of domestic life at the Cook household and on Wednesday photographs from the Saugatuck Dunes State Park, where we went hiking on Sunday.

Later in the week, there may be more photos ... or there might be a Friday Fun video. We'll see what the vacation brings!

All the photos were taken by Hanna.

On Saturday morning we went to the local farmer's market

It was nice, after two days in the car, to be out walking.
Miquel Fuentes, age 11, on his cello.
The turtle in the cello case is named PeeWee.
This was an addition to main street since my last visit.
We purposefully missed Tulip Time but the flowers are still blooming.
Sailboat on Lake Macatawa (latter-day Swallows & Amazons)
Stay tuned for Part Two (Hanna's lovely photographs of the interior of my parents' home) tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment