~oOo~

2010-12-04

quick hit: interviews with grown unschoolers


Blogger Idzie @ I'm Unschooled. Yes, I Can Write is running a new (and hopefully ongoing) series of interviews with grown unschoolers. I sent her my responses on Saturday and look for a post later this week sharing what I wrote (and cross-linking with her blog).  In the meantime, here's the first of the published interviews with one Hanna Thompson, as Idzie writes, is a "world traveler and aspiring medical doctor."A few excerpts:
Have you found that unschooling has had an impact on how hard or easy it is to get jobs or earn money?
It’s much easier being unschooled to find a job than if I was attending school. One reason is that with unschooling you actually have time to have a job, and I’ve found that my interpersonal skills which I attribute to unschooling, have made me very marketable in the jobs that I’m working.

What impact do you feel unschooling has had on your life?
My unschooling experience has taught me to follow my passion without restraint. The freedom of this type of education has given me the time to explore interests and form concrete ideas about what I want to achieve.

What advice would you give to unschooling parents (or parents looking into unschooling)?
Unschooling is about helping your child grow and expand their horizons, institutionalized schooling is about prolonging childhood indefinitely, so be your child’s facilitator, get involved with them, find opportunities for them, and let them pursue their own. Just let them grow.
You can check out the whole response at Idzie's blog and look for more installments in the future.

Also, if any of you reading this are or have been unschoolers, do participate in the series! You can find the original call for responses and the blank questionnaire by clicking through.

3 comments:

  1. Thanks for sharing this! :-)

    One small correction though: the "world traveler and aspiring M.D." bit was written by me, not Hannah. I almost wish I'd written a bit more of an intro for her, actually, since she didn't include a bio. She's a friend, and a really wonderful person! Ah well, I think that comes across in her answers, anyway. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. @Idzie corrected! thanks for the note. looking forward to the future installments :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great stuff!
    Also, Radio Free School has manyinterviews with grown unschoolers.
    http://radiofreeschool.blogspot.com/ and search for grown unschoolers.

    ReplyDelete